Announcing the new style of COLING'2020
Welcome to the new look COLING!
COLING’2020 will be rather different from all previous conferences in our series — not only because this time round it will be a virtual conference, but also because we will be ‘flipping’ the focus to discussion and interaction rather than just viewing. In a nutshell, the experience will be as follows:
- Oral presentations will be pre-recorded videos of up to 15mins for long papers, 10mins for short papers and 5mins for demos. Posters will be in the form of pdf files. They will be available for viewing by all attendees a week before the start of the conference.
- The main activities of the conference will take place over a shorter working day. They will happen over 5 hours each day, at a time when most of our international colleagues are likely to be awake: morning in the Americas, afternoon in Europe and evening in the Far East.
- The programme will be composed of a series of 30 minute sessions taking place in dedicated virtual rooms.
- Each session will start off with 1-minute (or less) ‘elevator-pitches’ by the participating speakers, as a way of introducing the session. The rest of the time will be devoted to a Q/A exchange, with approx. 5 minutes for long papers and 3 minutes for short papers. Session Chairs will manage the questions coming from the audience via video and chat.
- Demos and Posters will be shown in a special virtual exhibition area where authors can be approached for questions in an environment similar to a video-game, with each attendee having their personal avatar.
This new virtual format should allow more time for you to watch the presentations at your leisure and convenience before each session, more interaction between attendees and more opportunities for social gatherings and birds-of-a-feather meetings.
We will be using Underline for all aspects of the conference, including pre-recorded talks, live sessions and chat.
We look forward to seeing you here!